Finish Line 70.3

Finish Line 70.3
Finish Line 70.3

70.3 Finisher!

70.3 Finisher!
70.3 Finisher

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Down the Highway: 4 days 'til race day!

I've already mentioned Bachman Turner Overdrive in an earlier post (a band for my generation and the very first "rock" concert I ever attended) but my spin instructor Barbarian Bob turned me onto "Down the Highway" which was one of their lesser known hits. A great, great jogging song and get it in gear song. Great lyrics, too. "Come on boys, let's get ready to race....let it roll...down the highway...go...go...go!"

So far all has been going as planned. I've not gotten sick or injured, I've dropped another pound (which I will promptly regain once I start to carb up a bit as the weekend nears), the equipment is pretty much in order (got the new goggles last night; a bit of a Darth Vadar look as they came in black rather than my old silver), other than Patient Spouse's bike is still throwing him fits about changing rings so we have to take that back in tomorrow for the 6th time. Fortunately he is only doing the sprint race so if necessary, he can stay in one ring for the entire 12.5 miles since there are not really any hills on the ride, just a lot of wind. And windy it is supposed to be. 20-25 mph winds on race day. Personally, I laugh at that. I've ridden lately at White Rock in 30-40 mph winds and there are some small hills on that ride up into it. Wind, schminnd. Those other riders had best be prepared, but I already am!

Last night I went to spin class and set the tension bar reasonably low for the hour of fun with Barbarian Bob, worked up a sweat and got the heart rate up but didn't stress the muscles or joints, just pedaled fast and enjoyed feeling the strength of my legs. Not that I've dropped a couple of pounds it's easier to see my muscles in my legs and arms (I could still stand to drop 7 more, trust me, but that won't happen before the race) and I sometimes get so overwhelmed with the simple thought that our bodies are just such wonderful things and are capable of doing so very much.

I reached out and asked my friends and co workers yesterday to consider donating one dollar for every mile I finish to a charity of their choice. Not only will this make me feel good as I churn out the miles--that somebody is going to benefit from my madness--it is an extra incentive to keep me going should I do something unexpected like freak out on the swim, or get a flat tire on the bike, or get really tired and dizzy on the run. If I don't finish I will have some serious explaning to do to a lot of people!

Tonight is a long swim (2300 yards) and tomorrow a very short (30 min), very very easy run/jog, and Friday the car points south into the wind for the journey to the island. Still so much to pack! My lists have lists.

Ready to let it roll....down the highway!

No comments:

Post a Comment